Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Pitchin what tip to go with?

I want to buy a flippin and pitchin stick this weekend. I will use it for jigs from 3/8 oz to 1 oz+, and what  tip should I look for? A H action or MH action, do I look for a fast tip or XF tip?  I am new to this kind of fishing.

I love to flip and pitch in heavy cover and my two main rigs are a 7' Heavy action with a fast tip for heavier baits, and a 7' Medium Heavy action with a moderate/fast tip for slightly lighter baits.

I suggest you go with at least a Heavy action with either a fast tip or moderate tip, whichever one feels best to you...

Get a heavy fast 7'+ rod for pitching. You can throw frogs with it also.

Ronnie

XF action is my preference.  A Loomis BCR jig and worm rod would be the ultimate, but if you can't afford a BCR; for $100 I'd get a Compre', for $150 I'd get a Crucial, and for $200 I'd get an IMX.  Just for those that don't know, you can check the action of a rod in the store by using a quick slap against your palm right above the foregrip.  Look for the taper...after a couple of strikes against your palm you will clearly see the taper.  

I use both in 6'6" length.  I'm guessing I probably don't try to pitch distances some others do because I've never felt I couldn't reach my target and needed a longer rod to do so.  6'6" is just easier for me to work with.  I probably have never pitched more then 30' or 40'.  I could see where a longer rod would allow greater distance I guess, but I don't need one.  

I just had DG Rod Works build me a new 6'6" pitchin' rod on a 08 Croix Avid blank.  Prior to that I've used a Croix Premier 6'6 H/F and I also have a Crucial 6'6" MH/XF.  Love the power in those Croix heavy/fast blanks.  I like my Crucial when I'm working edges with 1/2 oz or less, but if I'm going further into the junk or throwing heavier weight, no way I'd go with anything but a heavy/fast.

For $200 a Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH/XF is another nice option for anything but real gnarly cover.  I almost bought one but went with the custom instead.  A true flippin' rod will be like a heavy/X-fast, really beefy stick.