Sign in to follow this  
Davis

Falcon LowRider XG Cast 6'6" MH/Fast Act

This is my first casting rod that I have purchased. Remember people talking about the Lowrider series being a good rod at a good price.

Does anyone have this particular rod?

http://www.***.com/descpageCASTFALCON-FLRC.html

"LFC-5-166 LR Herm Special This rod is our #1 selling LowRider. It fishers worms, jigs, and large spinnerbaits equally well. Take a couple of these to Mexico, and you'll be set. Line Weight: 12-20"

Figured this rod will be a good rod for what I want to do with spinnerbaits and small jigs.

If I like baitcasting enough than I'm going to throw a Citica or Curado on this rod.

You will be very happy. Falcons are nice rods.  My friend loves these rods and fishes exclusively with them. I like the 6'10" Eakins Jig special. If you fish with the jig I would say the 6'10" rod is the way to go.

My partner fishes the Eakins Jig Special and I think he had 3 of them now.  He is very loyal to Falcon.  All of his rods are Falcon.

I own St. Croix Avids & Falcon.  Peronally, the Avids are a bit lighter and more sensitive but for the money, you can't tell enough difference to really justify the price for the avearge angler.  If you fish more than once a week and you fish all year long, get something like an Avid or better.  For the weekend angler, the Lowrider is a good rod.

I personally don't like a rod that big in diameter 7 that stiff.  The Falcon Cara series is really good too but in the Avid price range.  I typically buy Falcon Originals over the Lowrider.

My buddy has had two Lowriders break, one on a hookset, right at the eye.  Falcon still makes a good rod though.

I have both rods mentioned. The "Herm Special" is more versatile than the Eakins Jig rod. I use mine primarily as an old school Texas rig rod, but would not hesitate to throw jigs or larger spinnerbaits if the need arose.

I have both rods mentioned. The "Herm Special" is more versatile than the Eakins Jig rod. I use mine primarily as an old school Texas rig rod, but would not hesitate to throw jigs or larger spinnerbaits if the need arose.

That is why I decided on that one.

Thanks for the input.

My partner fishes the Eakins Jig Special and I think he had 3 of them now. He is very loyal to Falcon. All of his rods are Falcon.

I own St. Croix Avids & Falcon. Peronally, the Avids are a bit lighter and more sensitive but for the money, you can't tell enough difference to really justify the price for the avearge angler. If you fish more than once a week and you fish all year long, get something like an Avid or better. For the weekend angler, the Lowrider is a good rod.

I personally don't like a rod that big in diameter 7 that stiff. The Falcon Cara series is really good too but in the Avid price range. I typically buy Falcon Originals over the Lowrider.

My buddy has had two Lowriders break, one on a hookset, right at the eye. Falcon still makes a good rod though.

I have an Avid spinning rod and love it. But after my winter buying my funds are drying up ha ha ha. Purchasing the Lowrider at 109.00 was a lot more than I was going to spend originally. So the new Avids were out of the question. For now.....

If I enjoy baitcasting at the end of the year.....than I'm probably going to move up to a Loomis or Avid with a Citica or Curado attached. But again before I start laying down the big bucks I want to make sure that I give baitcasting a good 4 months of fishing before deciding.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm the opposite.  I have 4 baitcasters now with 3 spinning combos.  One of which is an Avid 7'-6 Med Extra fast action spinning rod.  It's great for dropshot because I can feel every little tick.  I would rather sling a baitcaster than a spinning rod because I can cast further.

Before I start a debate, I know that there are some who can cast just as far with spinning, it's my limitation, not against spinning combos.  I just prefer the speed and compact size of a baitcaster.

Yep, the Avids are awesome.  The Lowrider will do you fine too but I'd save up for the Avid.  Having that lighter weight rod makes all the difference when it comes to comfort.  I can barely tell I'm holding my Avid it's so light. ;)