Sign in to follow this  
wareagle83

Cabelas Prodigy Low Profile - Shimano Citica, quality similarities??

Was scanning the Cabelas catalog tonight and saw their low profile Prodigy reel.  6+1 bearings, 8.6 oz, 1 piece aluminum frame.  Looked to be a pretty nice reel.  It's right at $100.  Just wondering how this house brand reel which I've heard is made by Daiwa compares to say the Citica which everyone seems to love.  Considering they are in the same price range.  

i have two citicas and a prodigy (plus too many of other reels, just ask my wife  :)). the cabelas prodigy is a slightly reworked daiwa tierra. terrific reel...but, so is the citica. the citica 100DSV is wonderfully small and smoother and lighter than the prodigy. the citica 200 is pretty heavy IMHO but still feels great. shimanos are the smoothest but the daiwas offer more casting control. take your pick, you can't go wrong with either.

I have a Prodigy and like it very much I all so have a Daiwa Mag Force and a Shimano Mg 51.  You can not compare the Prodigy to the Mg 51 its just not  fair. But the Prodigy is a nice reel for the money casts nice and smooth drag is easy to set brake is Z type and works better the the regaler mag force brake system I think ;D ;D made very well and lite in weight  its a Daiwa.  I would buy other in a heart beat. :) :) :) :) :)

I have a Prodigy, liked it so much bought one for my son too.  I will be getting a couple more this fall on clearance if they last that long.  Honestly, I think it works as well as my Revo SX does, which I also really like.

My son has a Citica 200.  We had some problems with it last year but I think (or hope) we got that taken care of now.  He likes the Prodigy better but as already stated you can't go wrong either way.