Sign in to follow this  
playmaker47

Shallow Water Drop-Shotting

Thinking about trying this out for the first time. Anybody that has done this, what rods, reels, line, baits, and techniques have worked well.

Im talking about a range of water depth 3'-12' where theres a decent amount of cover (timber/brush) and fish come up to about 6-7 lbs.

Thanks!!  :(

there's actually an article in the may issue of bassmaster magazine that goes over the whole technique of shallow-water dropshotting. i'd type it out word for word for you but.... well, i'm just not that nice of a guy, haha.

there's a sidebar in the article entitled "shallow water tackle for drop shotting" that lays out what one of the contributors to the article uses. he actually uses a 7' medium-fast casting rod with a high speed reel instead of light spinning tackle.

some tactics they suggest are throwing a standard dropshot rig around shallow grass lines and dock pilings because bass "are not used to seeing a bait off the bottom in these areas."

another tactic is to pitch the dropshot to thick vegetation after a cold front. the article states that bass will suspend under thick mats of grass and vegetation and that instead of pitching a soft plastic that will just momentarily pass through the strike zone, throw the dropshot and the worm will float right in the strike zone.

just a few suggestions from the article, hope those help!

I throw a dropshot on baitcasting gear, preferring a 1/4oz weight, 2/0-3/0 hook, and a finesse worm or 3.5inch beaver as the lure.  In shallow water, I only use about a 10in-12in leader.  Around weedlines, timber, or rocks, is where I prefer this rig.  Pretty much I pitch or short-cast it out there and let it sit.  This is one of my daylight tactics.

I have done this a lot. It is very effective. I have two rods for dropshot. Both are med action spinning rods. The first is 7ft I use this in clear open water it has 6lb florocarbon on it. The is other is 6ft. I find with a shorter rod I make more accurate casts. I have two spools set up. One with 6lb diameter braid and the other with 12lb florocarbon. On the braided set up I use a florocarbon leader. The amount of cover or structure determines which set up I go with.