Sign in to follow this  
Jake P

a little help

I have read Road Warriors post on "Power and Action defined" atleast 10 times and while for the most part it makes sense, at the same time it still doesn't. I think im missing something here about fishing anything with a treble hook. Why a Medium/Moderate Instead of a Medium Heavy/Fast while fishing trebles?

IMHO only.  When fishing a single hook I like a heavy rod to 'cross their eyes' for that one hook to penetrate.  When fishing trebles, the softer action will allow more hooks to get hooked up and won't tear out the one(s) that are already hooked up.  Also, when a fish makes a sudden turn or makes a run it provides more of a buffer rather than trying to adjust your drag while fighting a fish.  Again, just my opinion.

I found the following in an online article here on Bass Resource which was written by Roger Lee Brown (The Bass Coach).

"For example, if I were to fish a crankbait I would definitely use a softer tip rod with a medium or lighter action. Using this type of application will allow me to catch more fish than if I were to use a stiffer action rod. The reason is because most of the crankbaits manufactured are made with treble hooks, and if you were to look at the treble hooks verses the single wide-gap worm hooks, you would see that the points of a treble hook are very close together and the shank of the hooks are very short. If you use a strong hook set with these types of hooks, you would more than likely pull it right out of the bass's mouth. You just don't get the penetration into the bass as you would a single worm hook. So, by using a soft tip rod, it bends (or flexes) to where you won't have a sudden stop as if using a stiff rod. And a steady pressure while retrieving the bass back to the boat will usually land the fish."

Thank you guys, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing up my scattered brain.

Also, considering using mono for crankbaits and other treble hook baits.

Consider using a graphite medium heavy fast tip rod.

And consider "sweeping" the rod to the left or right when setting the hook.

Great advice above so please follow it.