Sign in to follow this  
Staff Sergeant--USMC

Got A "REEL" Question

Ok, I'm confused with gear ratios..... I know what they are and how to read them, my question is what gear ratios should I be using for different types of lures? Say like, if I'm gonna have a crankbait reel, what should the ratio be, what size rod should I use? Same for other baits as well, what rod and REEL gear ratio should I use for the various classifications of lures? Thanks in advance!

For cranking I like a 5.1:1 reel, especially deep cranking.  I have mine paired with a 6'6" med action glass rod.  For other applications I primarilay use a 6.3:1 ratio, but there are a few times I like to use my single 7.1:1 reel, particularly with buzzbaits and when I am running the trolling motor fast to cover a lot of water.

One thing to consider with gear ratios is how fast the boat is moving while you're fishing.  When I'm fishing crankbaits I usually have the trolling motor going at a pretty good clip to cover water.  I usually throw my lure 45 degrees or more from perpendicular to shore so that it won't be behind the boat at the end of my retrieve.  In such cases, I like to use a 6.2:1 just to take up the slack of the boat closing the distance to the lure but the lure is generally retrieved at the same speed as if I was fishing slower and using a 5.1 or lower.

Most people use lower gear ratios for crankbaits so that they can fish them with a slow retrieve. Ratios in the 6:1 range are for most other applications, while the high ratios like 7.*:1 are used for applications where you need to take up line very fast, like near heavy cover where you have to get the fish out of the cover very quickly before the fish wraps the line around the grass, wood, etc...

If you want a fast retrieve its easier done with a higher gear ratio and visa versa. It doesn't have to be done that way but it makes things easier. I use a 6.2:1 for everything, but thats just my preference. For crankbaits or anything with a treble hook for that matter i use one rod and its a 6'6'' MH/MF. Most people will use a medium power rod with a moderate tip because it keeps constant pressure on the fish, which if i understand correctly is critical with treble hooks. Here is a list of all the rods i use for all baitcasting applications.

6'6'' MH/F- all T-Rigs.

6'6'' MH/MF- all treble hooks

7' MH/F- jigs

7'6'' H/F- flipping jigs and plastics into thick stuff.