Sign in to follow this  
wagn

pitchin instead of flipping

Hey there, I'm trying to focus and improve on my pitching technique and looking for a rod specifically for that. My question is should I be looking at flipping sticks if i reall just want to pitch, or is there another action and power that I should be looking at. I like the flippin sticks because of their lenght, but would they be to stiff for soley a pitching approach?

I pitch mostly jigs, tubes and creature baits, as light a weight as i can get away with.

Don't get caught up in "one rod for one application" as the Bait Monkey will rob you blind.

Any medium heavy rod that is 6'6" or 7' long is great for pitching and flipping.

Just make sure the rod is at least a medium heavy.

You can pitch and flip with a baitcaster like most of us or with a spinning rig if you want.  It depends on the cover you are throwing into.

Some guys like graphite rods while others like combination models.

Just be sure you use the proper line test and that your rod is stiff enough to pull the fish out of cover.

Now, for the guys to chime in and tell you that you need a G. Loomis or Shimano or All Star filpping stick and that is the only way to go.

It is, if you have the money. :)

P.S.  You can go longer, such as a rod over 7'.

Check out Denny Brauer's book or video, Jig Fishing Secrets.  He likes a 7-1/2 foot medium to medium heavy Diawa rod with a medium action.

A real stiff action rod allows you to flip but it is hard to pitch with.

Good luck and go buy something, the economy needs help.

I don't ever get to fish matted grass or lily pads so flippin' is not something I have to do a whole lot of. Pitchin' lighter baits is easier with a rod that has a little softer tip in my opinion. I am currently using a 7'3" All Star ASR MH. It's been a nice surprise for under $100 bucks shipped and gets the job done just fine.

I like more power than most for pitchin' I guess.  I prefer 6'6" Heavy fast.  Reel Mech built me the perfect pitchin rod on a new model Avid 66HF blank.  It's got the perfect tip blended into the perfect power for this kind of work.  Since I fish clear water most of the time I never do any real flippin'.

I've been doing a lot of pitching of jigs and plastics this spring and I'm using 3 different rods for it.  I disagree with it having to be a MH action rod.  I pitch a lot of lighter plastics and finesse jigs and the MH action is overkill.  

1. BPS Pro Qualifier 7' MH - heavier baits

2. BPS Pro Qualifer 7' M - lighter baits

3. Gloomis Mossy Back 6'8 M jig and worm rod - lighter baits and the shorter length makes it better for fishing under a lot of shore line cover.  

I find myself pitching with nearly every casting rod I own. From my 7'-6" flippin stick down to my little 5'-6" Lamiglas rod. Sometimes pitching is just the right delivery. I pitch mostly with long rods, but if I find a small hole in the thick cover or a want to land a spinnerbait between a parked boat and the dock, I will pitch if it's the best way.

Ronnie

Thanks for the help guys. Everyone has basically answered my question. I think what i really want is just a longer rod. I like some of the flipping sticks because they are telescopic and around 7'6". but i think they will be to stiff for an ideal pitchin rod. I don't really have a need to flip where I am at, but pitchin is something i do often already and am looking to do more

sam- I keep hearing about this jig fishing video, but can't find it anywhere. I can find the book, but i'd prefer to have it on video. I learn better visually.

thanks everyone

I pitch all day every day, with the occasional flipping. The only time I ever make a real over hand type cast, is with a swimbait.

Dobyns 734 - Pitching senkos / jigs / other plastics on the outside edges of cover.

Dobyns 765 - Pitching and flipping moderate cover

and soon to be a 766 for pitching and flipping the very heavy stuff.

Pitching and flipping I cannot imagine doing with anything less then a 7'3, and really prefer a 7'6.  I've flipped and pitching with a 7fter, and the world changes when you get that 7'6 in your hands  :)

I prefer 6'6" Heavy fast.  Reel Mech built me the perfect pitchin rod on a new model Avid 66HF blank.

I have the same rod......Queen of the heavy cover.