Sign in to follow this  
hjerk24

Crankbait Reel- and Ratio's

I am looking to get a new reel, and have just started getting into crankbaits.  I read that a 5:1 ratio will give a slower presentation, and is one that most sites seem to recommend...as well as for slower rolling spinner baits, etc... I was looking at the Shimano Corado, and it's the CU200DPV Model.  This has 5 bearings, and seems to be a great reel for the job.  I have always fished Quantum baitcaster, and recently got a Pfleuger Trion, and it's awesome, so I have been around baitcasters, but have not been as educated as I'd like to be.  Is the 5:1 a good overall crankbait reel, and would you recommend the Shimano Corado 5:1.  I looked on Bass Pro Shop, and am eager to buy.  Thanks for the help.  I have made crankbaiting a personal goal for the season, and any help you could give, I'd greatly appreciate it.  

Good Fishing-

Jamie

Boyertown, Pa

I have that same reel.  It is a good crankbait reel especially deep crankbaits.  The slower gear really gets them down there.  I haven't used it for shallow cranks but I don't see why it would make that much of a difference.  Also get a good crankbait rod,  I have my curado on a shimano crucial 7'0 MH mf.  It is a great rod for its price ($130-150).

Thanks for the reply...I am going to get either the Curado, or the Quantum , or the Pfleuger tomorrow 5:1...gear ratio.  I also have a rod ready, so just need to finish it off.

Thanks again-

Jamie

I've used slow reels....I had an old Quantum cranking reel that was 3.8:1, and I've used burners.  I think I like the higher speed reels better, just for the fact I can burn my bait back to the boat when my bait is out of the strike zone.  When I say high-speed, I mean 6 or 6.3:1, not 7:1.  You can use a 7:1, but they are just too dang fast for me and don't have any torque.  My Cores have actually cranked very well, and my all time favorite is the regular scorpion.

Thanks for the replies...makes my purchase all the more confusing, which is good, that way it will be an educated purchase!!!

Thanks-