Sign in to follow this  
Ellesar

strange problem

I've been having a strange problem with my fishing line. For some reason after a bit of fishing, I go and make a cast and my line is broken. It's strange because its breaking down in the spool. At the end of the cast I look down and my line is broken. Luckily I can pull the lure back by hand so that I don't lose that too. What makes it even more odd is that often there are a couple of small sections of broken off line in that same area. So its more than just a single break, its like its breaking in several places.

At first I thought it was the reel I was using. It seems to happen on my Quantum more than others. But I had it happen on a different reel as well.

Anyone ever had anything like that happen?  I've respooled the reels, I've tried different brands/types of lines. The only type I haven't had it happen on is braid. Am I casting "too hard"?

Thanks...

Its either a bad spool of line, your are getting knots/loops on the spool, or if you are using the same rod it could be an eyelet.

If it happens on 2 reels it probably isn't anything to do with them.

What line are you using? Spinning or baitcasting?

Sounds like the same problem I was having about a month ago with my Citicas. Ended up me not cleaning out a birdsnest all the way. Loops where way down into the spool and eventually the pressure weakened the line. Now when I do get a backlash I make sure to clean it out all the way. Haven't had the problem since.

Its either a bad spool of line, your are getting knots/loops on the spool, or if you are using the same rod it could be an eyelet.

If it happens on 2 reels it probably isn't anything to do with them.

What line are you using? Spinning or baitcasting?

Its happened on 2 seperate baitcasting reels.  I've had it happen using Mono, 100% fluoro, and polymer.

Sounds like the same problem I was having about a month ago with my Citicas. Ended up me not cleaning out a birdsnest all the way. Loops where way down into the spool and eventually the pressure weakened the line. Now when I do get a backlash I make sure to clean it out all the way. Haven't had the problem since.

I thought about that and paid close attention on Sat. I had it happen 3 times and never had a birds nest. The only thing I thought was that somehow it got kinked down in the spool without it appearing like it was an overrun, thus I didn't see that it needed clearing out. But I can't say that I've ever heard of or seen that happen.

I thought about that and paid close attention on Sat. I had it happen 3 times and never had a birds nest. The only thing I thought was that somehow it got kinked down in the spool without it appearing like it was an overrun, thus I didn't see that it needed clearing out. But I can't say that I've ever heard of or seen that happen.

That's kind of what I meant. Not a massive birdsnest but just enough to where the line gets "loose" on the spool. With you using different lines and reels and it still happening the only other option like Hawghunter was saying is that it could be your guides. But it being down in the spool so far that is not likely. Tighten up your cast control a bit and see if that helps.

That's kind of what I meant. Not a massive birdsnest but just enough to where the line gets "loose" on the spool. With you using different lines and reels and it still happening the only other option like Hawghunter was saying is that it could be your guides. But it being down in the spool so far that is not likely. Tighten up your cast control a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am bit suspicious that what you are talking abuot is the case. I'm just a tad bit concerned because on Sat I was checking the spool and saw no signs of kinking before it happened. That was my initial suspicion. One thing I just remembered though makes me think you may be right. It seems like there was an odd buzzing sound when the line was coming off of the spool, like the line was kinked or something. Maybe I'm hearing things though.

I guess I need to revisit the Trilene 100% fluoro then. I had sworn off the use of it because I thought it was just too fragile for someone who still gets a few birds nests during a day of fishing. I was think it was breaking too easily. Maybe its not the line, its the caster! (You would think  I should know that! ;D )