Sign in to follow this  
Ballpark Frank

Thinking about a Carrot Stix spinning rod, would like advice.

I am so happy with my BC Carrot that I am thinking about a spinning Carrot. We had a garage sale this weekend and I sold a ton of unused fishing gear. Now I have about $250 to spend on a new combo. I also want the rod to double as a inshore/saltwater rod. The two I am considering are the 7'3" MH fast and the 7'2" MH fast drop shot, paired with a Shimano Symetre 2500 or 4000. I only own 1 MH spinning rod and it is a fiberglass catfish rod. Does anyone have any experience with these Carrots? Would I be better off getting a Medium power?

I have a medium spinning carrot. It's pretty soft. I only use it for soft plastics. I would not recommend it for inshore salt water. I'm actually looking at a St. Croix Premier for an inshore rod. $160  8-)

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=37&section=salt

Why not saltwater? Is it the SS guides? I have a couple of older surf rods with SS guides that have never been a problem. I use mono and flouro only, no braid.

Not so many people have used it for sw so i wouldn't suggest it just yet. It's a supposedly new technology your best bet is to contact e21

I emailed E21 tonight about the LTX in saltwater. While doing a search relating to Carrot/SW, I found several rumors of an inshore Carrot that may be at ICAST. That would be sweet. I have several inshore rods already, mostly BCs. I want a MH spinning and like the Carrots so well that I thought it could double in salt. I think I'll wait and see what E21 says and ICAST reveals. I am heading to the Gulf next week, so I guess I'll just have to take my Greenwater. ;)

Why not saltwater? Is it the SS guides? I have a couple of older surf rods with SS guides that have never been a problem. I use mono and flouro only, no braid.

Because, up here in R.I. when you say inshore, I automatically think 5-8 lb schoolie stripers, and 10 lb bluefish. Why bring the proverbial knife to a gunfight? The medium is way to soft in my opinion. I like it for fresh, it handles the 4lb class LMB just fine...

Also, I would pick the 7' M St Croix Premier instead. For the same money, it would be nice to be able to throw 2oz lures  8-)

Thanks for the advice guys. Mike, that St.Croix would be nice, but I have a G.Loomis Greenwater that fits the bill. I was just trying to justify another Carrot. Anyway, I rarely use spinning tackle. I also have a little issue with my Carrot.