Sign in to follow this  
aggiebassin

pitchin jig/soft plastics rod (carrot or powell)

i am looking for one more rod. it will be mostly used to pitch jigs and soft plastics. and occasionally to throw c-rigs.

i am looking to spend around $150.

i am thinking either a carrot, or a powell.

has anyone used the 7' XH carrot? how heavy is it actually? what about the 7'3" MH how heavy is it?

I have only fished with powell rods one time and it was when I went striper fishing  and I loved it. It held up great against 15 pound stripers and with the new discount I would get the powell. (never used a carrot stick so you probably will wont to take the advice of someone else.) GOOD LUCK!

Gotta go Powell for jig and worm fishing.   I've got a few of each, and I really don't think you will notice any weight difference, with the Powell getting the nod regarding sensitivity/guides.   Powell has some faster actions as well, which will benefit your jig and worm fishing.  Hope that helps...

I have a 7' Extra Heavy Carrot Stix paired with an Accurist PT spooled with 50 Sufix braid that I use for flipping/pitching.  The light weight of the rod more than makes up for a slightly heavier reel and it's a great combo for pitching/flipping all day.  The EVA grips are new to me, but very comfortable and I love the split seat for lots of blank contact while palming the reel.  I don't really care for the look of the stainless guides, but have had no problems with them, especially in the short cast applications that I use the rod for.  I'm definitely impressed with the rod for the price point and may be picking up another sometime soon after I sell some of my older stuff.  I also have a Powell 704C heavy action that I use for a frog rod, and I like it as well.  I don't think it's as light as the Carrot, but I like the Alconite guides better, and now it's even cheaper than the Carrot.  I'm gonna order a Powell 683C to replace my 6'10" Kistler Magnesium as soon as it sells on eBay.

Go with the Powell...it owns the Carrot Stix on all aspects except looks...and looks don't affect this kind of rod if you get my drift ;D

I own both a Powell 765, and a Carrot Stix 6'6" Medium. After trying both, I would get a Powell. I LOVE my Powell. You can really tell the difference in sensitivity. Get a Powell and never look back!

i handled both the carrot and a powell today.  and fell in love w/ the powell.  it was so light and was very impressed on how well it was put together

i thought i liked the orange of the carrot, until i saw it in person and i do not know if i really like it, and the guides really turned me off.  

does anyone have any experience with powell's cust serv?? i have heard that e21's service is hard to beat.

Well with a powell, you get a replacement for 35 bucks no matter how it broke. Which is awesome in my opinion. You can just take it back to where you bought it, and can trade it right then and there. I am thinking about selling my carrot to get another powell. Going from my powell to carrot just doesnt feel right. The powell is alot better.