Sign in to follow this  
Joe Boss

St. Croix Legend Tournament - Demo!?!

I had some bizarre stuff happen to me this week while purchasing fishing equipment.

My Dad and I went to a local dealer this week because he knew they sold St. Croix rods. He was looking for a St. Croix Legend Tournament baitcasting rod for his Revo. They only had one in the store and it was priced at $220

My Dad and I are completely different shoppers, I would be like Wow I am so lucky they only had one left and leave a trail of fire in the isle for the cash register to make my purchase. My dad on the other hand examines the merchandise with a microscope before he makes a purchase. He looks for the smallest scratch which could be a dealbreaker for him. While he was doing his trademark inspection of the rod he came across some writing on the rod that said:

"Crafted for Demo on 3/24/08"

He asked me what that meant. I told him I guess this rod is a demonstration model and not for sale. He said it has a pricetag on it so it must be for sale. We asked the storeowner what the crafted for demo meant and he said the company must have sent him a demo model that he accidentely placed on the for sale rack. He also said that if my dad wanted it he would sell it for 30% ($60) off but keep in mind its not under warrenty. My Dad said thanks but he wasn't interested and plans to order the rod from a catalog.

A valuble lesson was learned though, check the merchandise before buying!