Sign in to follow this  
Evan Pease

Reel Reviews

Here are some short reviews of reels Ive used, you all can add to it if you want so people can get a feel for whats what.

Daiwa Procaster(spinning combo): Mine has held up suprisingly well for a fourty dollar combo. The reel is barely showing signs of use after several years of fishing and the rod has no faults.

Daiwa RegalX: Great reel. Ive had long enough to have to ask how old it is and it has held up better than the procaster. The only problem is that the bell wont go down by using the handle but it got me into the habit of hand shutting it.

Daiwa Megaforce: Its a sturdy reel but not one for light lures. Mines probably 6-8 months old and works well for the price.

Daiwa Viento: Ive had mine for almost three or four years but its still a great baitcaster. It can throw down to just under 1/4oz with ease. It also handles big fish well.

Daiwa Sol: Awsome reel. It can throw a 1/8 oz lure easily. Its small size makes it easy to palm, too. Ive yet to have any problems with mine.

Daiwa Fuego: Ive not had mine long enough to tell much about it but so far Im impressed. Its a little beefier feeling than the Sol but its magnesium frame keeps it lightweight.

Daiwa Zillion: This thing is amazing. Ive only had mine around seven months but I can tell its the real deal. I wouldnt suggest light lures with it though. 1/4 is about as low as you'd want to go unless you'r an accomplished at baitcasting.

Pfluger Echolon: Inexpensive reel that works reasonably well. The brake is hard to set but it handles well when you get it. This reel doesnt get along well with braid though.

Quantum Bill Danc: This was my first baitcaster so I cant bash it too hard. The drag is tricky because its easy to knock out of place. It also doesnt feel very solid. It can sling a 3/4 ounce crank out into space though. Its claim to fame is landing my second biggest fish.

AbuGarcia C4: Worked for a while but I had the biggest one so I sold it shortly after buying it. I did get my PB with it though. A great line capacity and a reputable company are two things to notice about it.

Mitchell Avocet: Ive had the small one of these for at least five years. Its smooth and has a good drag. The only problem is that like most little spinning reels it twists your line. I would definitely keep the included spare spool handy.

Ill add my first impressions of the sivermax here tomorrow after I get to use it.

Daiwa RegalX: Great reel. Ive had long enough to have to ask how old it is and it has held up better than the procaster. The only problem is that the bell wont go down by using the handle but it got me into the habit of hand shutting it.

I've used Daiwa spinners for perhaps 10 years or more, mostly Regal-Z, but a few Regal-X as well. I like everything about them except that Daiwa has never discovered the secret to making bail springs that last. They break on every reel I've had.