Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Swimbait Rod Fenwick or Shimano

Just wondering between the Fenwick Elite Swimbait Rod and the Shimano Crucial Swimbait Rod which of the two are better rods. Im looking for something that is not going to weigh me down while throwing a swimbait. About the only swimbaits i throw are 3:16 lure company so they weigh some where around 2 ounce's i suppose. Between these two rods which would be the best for my setup?

If you like to chuck and tuck (rod handle under the armpit) the shimano has a shorter handle then most swimbait rods out there.  I don't like their swimbait rods because of this.

No clue whats up with the Fenwick.

i have picked up the fenwick and it feels really nice just wondering if after you put a reel on it will it weigh you down after a few hours of chuncking swimbaits.

They are all gonna be heavier than you are used to if you don't chuck em regularly, but IMO its better to try to balance your gear at that level that trying to reduce weight.  A 8ft meatstick and a 300/400 size reel is gonna be weighty no matter how you slice it (relatively of course).

i understand that they are not going to be light weight. But the Fenwick is only 6 ounces. I may do some more research on it. I looked at the review on Tackle Tour. They gave it a pretty good review.

its not only the weight of the setup, but the bait too.  That plus the casting mechanics changes up the game quite a bit.  Casting a swimbait all day is more like "work" than throwing other smaller lighter setups and baits.  Just make sure whatever you get matches right with the weight of the baits you are planning on throwing and feels comfortable on the cast and retrieve and you should be good to go!