Sign in to follow this  
B-o-b

Abu Garcia Silver Max

Im looking for a nice backup reel, and ive seen the Abu Garcia Silver Max, but i havn't found any reviews on it. Can anyone tell me if they've had any expirience with it?

I have a few, basically field testing them.

They have the feel of a Revo on the rod.

They cast a mile.

They also feel like they're made of plastic when reeling in with or without a fish on the end.  Perhaps because I have so many other Revo's on other rods but you can feel the reel isn't as solid.

Not that that's a bad thing, shoot, for around $40 -45 (going price on Ebay), it's hard to beat.  As to the long term reliability?  

I have a Pro Max that went for $ 80.00. This is a great reel for the price. It is made from alunimun I believe.

go to ffo-tackle.com and look at them there, but personally I would go with a BPS Extreme. I have the Silver Max and I am a little dissapionted in the performance of this reel.

I fished with my buddies Silver Max a couple months ago. It's not my Revos, but it is a good reel for the price. He beats his equipment, and this reel is still working fine.

Falcon

i have the black max and the pro max, which sandwich the silver max in the 'max' lineup. i originally bought both as backups.

i agree with j-zink's assessment. for whatever reason, they cast a country mile (at least 20% more distance than i can get with my revo S's, don't ask me why). but, they're only okay for smoothness and so-so feeling in terms of solidness. but, hey, great value for the price.

well if you're really looking into buying a Silver Maxx, i know at Dicks Sporting Goods you can pick one up with a Berkley Lightning Rod for $60.00 and it comes with a $20.00 mail-in rebate