Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Coleman

What do you look for in a_______ rod?

Personal choice I don't fish cranks or swimbaits too much, but I like a spinner bait rod with a tip with give and a strong back bone my buzzbait sb rod is a 6' 10'' mh rod which they say is a xf tip love it to death. Work great with rattle traps aswell. my2cents

^ I concur. MH/XF is pretty much general purposed, and may or may not work well when finesse fishing, I'm not sure. Although I rarely see myself using the lures you mentioned, what I'd pay more attention to is reel speed  :)

What do you look for in a swimbait, spinner/buzzbait, and crankbait rod's characteristics that makes it better situated(spelling?) for that type of fishing?

Swimbait- Your gunna need a HEAVY duty rod. Depending on the size of swimbaits your throwing you should get a rod to throw alittle above that size/weight of swimbait if possible. A 7'6 XH action rod with a fast tip that can toss a 2-3 oz bait is a good choice.

Spinner/buzzbait- I prefer a 7'0 MH action rod with a fast tip

Crankbaits- You want a good sized rod to get a good long cast. i like anything above 7'0 for cranks. I currently use a 7'2 carrot stix for my cranks. The ideal crankbait rod would be a 7'0 Medium power and medium action. That will give it the bend throughout the rod which is needed for cranks so you dont rip the bait out of the fishes mouth.

Worms- A Medium heavy power with a fast tip is what i've always used. Gives it a good backbone to give a good hookset and you can also horse a fish in this way.

Jigs- I usually flip jigs so i like a very long rod. A 7'6+ rod is ideal for me. With a Heavy power and a fast tip.