Sign in to follow this  
siiilent

Baitcasting Update

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks to every who replied to my thread (baitcaster braking question). Unfortunately that one went astray so I just created this one to say thanks, I took everyones advice and put it all together and within' 2 days I'm much better now. I'm casting out spinners and tubes 30-40 feet easily, now with no brakes at all. I still get backlashes but I'm training my thumb to know when to slow down the spool, and my casting technique has changed also.

Once again thanks everyone for your great advice and help!

Congrats! I realize there is a coolness factor associated with not using any brakes, but just add a little braking to keep your sanity.  The brakes can actually help to minimize the seeverity of the backlashes and therefore saving you some time out of the water. It is one way of letting the reel work for you and pardon the pun, to give your thumb a break (brake).  ;D

Congrats! I realize there is a coolness factor associated with not using any brakes, but just add a little braking to keep your sanity. The brakes can actually help to minimize the seeverity of the backlashes and therefore saving you some time out of the water. It is one way of letting the reel work for you and pardon the pun, to give your thumb a break (brake). ;D

I agree.  I'm trying to learn without the brake so when I get good I'll have nothing to worry about.

I've been fishing BC for 2 years now and i still can't do without any brakes yet.

:)

But like islandbass said...i do it to keep my sanity.....Wouldn't want people out there hear me doing this