Sign in to follow this  
joeyd50

Curado

I'm sure everyone's looked at reels on E-Bay, I can't figure these Curado reels out, I know the 100 is the little and 200 the larger and I know the E is the 2009. I see some CU, Bantam, SF. I seen this reel last week and it didn't sell and now its relisted again http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Curado-Bantam-CU-200_W0QQitemZ120304761933QQihZ002QQcategoryZ108153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I just don't understand how some reels with the same description sell for like $140.00 and some don't sell or go for $65.00 or so.

Joe

I have also seen the price difference. I have two of these reels and I bought one at BPS and an Extreme Rod as a combo and I bought one at Walmart. At the time they were selling for $119 new and when they discontinued the green Curado I bought one at Walmart for $99. That was in 2005. They are good reels. I think if I was going to spend a hundred dollars for a reel I would save a little more money and buy the new E model. If you can get a green Curado on E-Bay for $65 that is a good deal I believe.

Jim

The Green Curado's have been around quite a few years. For awhile, Shimano used to use the bantam moniker on both the Curado and Citica before dropping it. I don't remember the exact year they dropped the "bantam" name off the Curado but if you see that you know it's an older reel. The CU came into play when they dropped the bantam part. SF stands for super free. That indicates the pinion gear has a bearing to support it which is supposed to translate into longer casting ability. When the SF was introduced in around '01-02, it added about $40 to the price of a regular CU200 reel.  They never really caught on so the prices of them today are pretty much in-line with a regular green Curado.

There are a lot of VERY loyal Green Curado fishermen out there. When Shimano introduced the D line in 2006 there was a strong demand for the green reels. So much so that a typical, used green curado on Ebay was selling for $90-100 (rash and all) and those in new or mint condition, around $110 - 140. Much of that panic hording has ended now and green reels typically sell for around $65 - 80 with new or mint reels selling for around $100.