Sign in to follow this  
fishntime

Drop shot line

Ok guys, heres the problem. I went out to the local lake, I was using a dropshot setup. I have 6lb trilene on the reel and I use a palomar knot. I caught one, released the little guy. A few casts later I hook into a bigger fish but this time my line snaps at the knot. I previously was using berkly transitions, and I had the same problem. I thought it was the line but since I changed the line I figure I might be doing something wrong. Help Please... :-[

Is there a certain line that you would recommend?

You have got to be careful with light line. I use 8-10lb test on my dropshot rig. Don't try to rip their lips on the hook set, and let them fight. You can not and will not be able to horse a big fish in. You got to let them run with the drag. Berkley Transition line has a reputation to break easily. I'd use fluorocarbon, such as Triline 100%. That is what I use and love it.

I use 6 pound Yo-Zuri Hybrid. It holds up great...never had the line break while dropshotting. Remember, while dropshotting, don't set the hook: just reel up, let the rod load, and you will be good.

Gotta agree with the other guys.  Don't give it the Bill Dance Hook Set, just reel.  I've had bad experience with dropshotting 6# test.  I normally use 20-30 braid with a few feet of 8-10 Flouro.  

Is the trilene line you're using fluoro? Don't tie a palomar knot with fluorocarbon, it's only trouble. The sandiego jam has been my best friend lately (for fluoro)

Is the trilene line you're using fluoro? Don't tie a palomar knot with fluorocarbon, it's only trouble. The sandiego jam has been my best friend lately (for fluoro)

I've been tying palomar knots with flouro for years and no problems 4lb test on up- wet it cinch it down nice firm and smooth no herky jerky movements.  You may indeed be setting the hook too firmly- reel up to the pressure point and slow sweep while reeling once you got'em keep the tip up and keep the rod loaded- fine tune that drag for light line-