Sign in to follow this  
adclem

New Rod

I am purchasing a new rod this weekend. BPS has their Johnny Morris Signature BC rods for $119 or I can get a St Croix Premiere for the same price of $119.

Rod will be used with my Citica and would like to use it with plastics and frogs.

Thanks, :D

Good rods, however I was looking for a good match to my Quantum Energy 760PT reel, now don't look past this next word - Walmart, while browsing there I came across a Quantum Tournament IM8 rod for $39.99, they had several ranging from 6ft, 6 1/2ft and 7ft.  Been usin it for two weeks and it is a great rod, everything one would expect out of a Quantum graphite.  I have a St. Croix from Gander MTN and this Quantum rod matches it in every way.

When comparing the two rods look at the specifications to see if they differ.

If they differ, select the one that matches how you want to fish the rod.

Hold one in your right hand and the other in your left hand at the same time to feel which one is lighter or feels better.

Check the length of the handle to see if one handle is longer than the other.

Cast each one to see how it feels when casting.  Of course, you have only the rod in your hand when you do this but hold the rod in the air and move it back and forth with wrist action.  Which one feels better? And actually go through the casting motions with each rod.

Count the number of line guides. And what material are they?  How is the tip of the rod's line guide constructed?

Is the first line guide closer to the reel than the other? Some pros say to use the rods that have the line guides farther away from the reel for better casting.  I am not saying that.  I just read it in some literature.

Does either rod have a hook or bait holder near the reel end of the rod?

But the most important thing to do is to make sure the specs of each rod meet the paramaters of the baits you want to throw and the techniques and conditions you want to fish.

Now, isn't it easy selecting a rod????  ;D   ;D   ;D

And I did not go into graphite or glass construction as I did not want to scramble your brains!  :D

:-? :D :-/

Thanks, nothing like making it harder.  You couldn't just say choose a over b!lol :)

Good advice, will try it tonight and see which I like better.

Thanks, :)

Speaking of glass or graphite.  My last two rods are St. Croix and Quantum, which are my first two graphite.  The weight and feel is an obvious difference, but what exactly makes them so?  IM6 - IM10, knowing that those numbers signify higher or more graphite, what makes one better than the other.  Right now I'm fixin' to buy an Energy PT rod HSX54 to use with my Energy PT reel.  What does it all mean? :-?