Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

American Rodsmiths Mag Strike

LINK

Anyone used or know anything about these rods or any other rods by AR? They look really nice.

I bought the MBR 7' about a month ago. I saw these in person at the Classic Expo in February and was quite impressed. I played around with them a little bit at the Expo. It's been a pretty good rod so far. Light, sensitive and has a slightly softer tip which in my opinion is a good thing on quick hooksets. I've got a Revo Premier sitting on it. It's a good set-up and balances out fairly well.

I'll probably order a Mag Strike spinning rod next to see what they're all about. American Rodsmiths makes some good rods, they just don't spend a pile of money on advertising to get the word out.

how would they compare to other rods in the same price range-- like a Shimano Crucial, Powell Max, Falcon Cara, Fenwick HMG, etc...?

I have a Fritts rod for sale in the Flea market.  It's a totally fiberglass rod.  I've used it a couple times.  I now remember what fishing with a fiberglass rod was like.  

I'll take a composite any day.  

how would they compare to other rods in the same price range-- like a Shimano Crucial, Powell Max, Falcon Cara, Fenwick HMG, etc...?

Of those you listed, in my opinion I dont think there's a $150 rod better than the Falcon Cara period.

As for the Mag Strike, I cant really make a fair comparison to the Crucial or Powell since I dont fish either one.