Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Baitcaster Questions

Ok, I plan on picking up at least one Casting reel for this upcoming season. I have noticed a lot mroe talk about maintanence surrounding casting reels than I ever did with spinning reels? How often should I oil/lube my reel? How do I do this? Is it easy? SHould I take it to a pro to get it done so if anything goes wrong they will be responsible to reimburse me?

Also, what is  agood general purpose Gear Ration for most lures. I believe 5:1 is slow, and 7:1 is fast, so should I plan on something with around a 6:1 ratio?

How often should I oil/lube my reel?
At least once a season for a complete servicing. Basic maintenance is done as often as every few outings or depending on how worked the reel/s get.
How do I do this? Is it easy?
Some would say it is easy. If you have never done it then I would recommend you have someone like The Reel Mechanic do it for you.
SHould I take it to a pro to get it done so if anything goes wrong they will be responsible to reimburse me?
Yes!
Also, what is  agood general purpose Gear Ration for most lures. I believe 5:1 is slow, and 7:1 is fast, so should I plan on something with around a 6:1 ratio?
5:1.1 is a slow crankbait GR (Gear Ratio). 7:1.1 is in the Burner range, real quick for turning the heads before the fish can get into cover, I use them for t-rigs, and jigs. 6:1.1 to 6:4.1 is an all around gear ratio you will find on most BC reels

Hope this helps..

:)