Sign in to follow this  
ghost

2009 Shimano Sonora...Good Match W/ Carrot Stix???

Just trying to find a spinning reel to match the 7' Spinning Carrot Stix rod I have.

I've looked at the Daiwa Sol as the best match, but I'm not wanting to spend $200 for a reel right now.

So, I found the new Shimano Sonora as the next best choice to match w/ the Carrot Stix.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0060371123666a&navCount=7&podId=0060371&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

It's much cheaper in price & it's a graphite bodied spinning reel.  I think it should do well for freshwater fishing, mostly bass & panfish.  I'm thinking of getting the 2500 sized Sonora.

Any pros or cons about the Sonora???

Also I've been looking at Dick's Sporting Goods version of the Daiwa Capricorn in 2500.  That's $10 more & it comes w/ a spare spool.  But I don't know how good this reel is....or how good the new Sonora is.

Color wise it'll match up with your rod. That's what your worried about right ? It will do for panfish.

I don't see why the Sonora wouldn't work, but if I had a nice rod, I wouldn't want to settle on a reel just to have the colors match.

Also I've been looking at Dick's Sporting Goods version of the Daiwa Capricorn in 2500. That's $10 more & it comes w/ a spare spool. But I don't know how good this reel is....or how good the new Sonora is.

For that $10 more you are not only getting a spare spool you are getting a reel made out of aluminum instead of graphite.

If you are not going with the Sol, which would be my choice, then get the Capricorn. I agree with Dan though a nice rod deserves a nice reel, if you are worried about colors matching get a black reel, there are black parts on the Carrot Stix.