Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Just a little trouble with braid

Just thought i would ask i was out flipping some bluffs today cause i just started using braid and i set the hook twice and broke my jig off both times. Is it my Knot you think? I bought 30 lb Power Pro. I been tieing a Palomer Knot and wetting it good. Should i be adding super glue? What could be the cause.

Were there any rocks around? They cut braid like butter.

Could be the Knot slipping, I have seen it happen on the lighter braid diameters. The best solution IMO is to up your line test to something above 50 lb test. The heavier braid ties a very secure knot no matter what knot you tie.

Was it breaking at the knot or elsewhere on the line? It would be helpful to know.

I usually leave an ever so slight longer tag for potential slippage.

I've been using 15# Power Pro for a couple years and use the Palomar knot only and haven't had any breakage. I leave a longer tag end than normal but don't know if that has any bearing on the situation.

i was just talking to a buddy of mine and he was mentioning the same thing he thinks the tag was cut to short cause i was cutting it pretty close to the knot.

Posted by: booneangler Posted on: Today at 8:45pm

i was just talking to a buddy of mine and he was mentioning the same thing he thinks the tag was cut to short cause i was cutting it pretty close to the knot.  

I had the samer thing happen to me, leave the tag pretty much 2x the length of the knot, this way the knot will have some where to slipp to. Also are you wetting the line before you tighten down. Might be craeting kinks or hot spots in the line.?

memo

i cut my tag as close as i can , never have slippage problems . to bad you couldn't check the jig , sometimes the eyelet gets nicks , especially when the jig is dinged around on rocks and can cause the braid or any line for that matter to be cut . just something to think about , i check my jigs on each outing ,also my shakeyhead jigs and swimbait eyelets   :)

Bluff so there must be rocks around.

Braid+Rock= Bad combination

Heavy mono or flouro leader.