Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Exposed Baitcst Reel Seat VS Non Exposed B/C Reel Seat

I have 1 baitcast rod that has a non exposed reel seat, all the other baitcast rods I own have an exposed reel seat, so the non exposed is old school.  I haven't used the non exposed reel seat in quite a long time.  The newer like the Cumara, Zillion, Carrot Stix, Kistler & Falcon have been taking over!

I haven't used the non exposed reel seat rod in sometime.  Made me wonder how much of a difference does the exposed reel seat is.  With the non exposed one, wouldn't you still feel the sensitivity from the rod?

I know that alot of swimbait rods, salmon & musky baitcast rods have non exposed reel seats, so sensitivity isn't as important?

My guess for swimbaiters (I am far from one) is that if that fish is gonna hit your swimbait, you'll know it. It's not like how they'll barely tap a shakey head and that GLX or Carrot Stix sensitivity will help you feel the bite.

Correct, for swimbaits, a seat belt would be more important than sensitivity,lol.  When you get hit,....you'll know it.

There might be a little more sensitivity, but I don't think much. My salmon rod doesn't have the exposed section, yet when I drift fish (pencil bounces along the river bed) I feel every tick and vibration without skipping a beat.

The other good thing about the non exposed in my hands is that the grasp of my hand feels great and whole or complete. When using rods with the exposed area, it feels more like I am pinching or squeezing the reel seat just to hold the rod and touch the blank. It is not a good or bad thing, just an observation.

For a swimbait rod, I think the non exposed seat will fill fuller and more comfortable. As mentioned, sensitivity is probably not paramount. You're going to know. :)