Sign in to follow this  
underwraps1

How would this setup perform?

I've been fishing for about 2 months now and I love it. I have a combo setup from walmart which is good, but I want to get a new setup. How does this sound? Berkley lightning rod ( 6'6 or 7' ) Abu Garcia Cardinal 106 reel and Berkley trilene XL 12LB. I'm going to be using it for freshwater fishing in Loxahatchee, mainly at the Loxahatchee NWR.

I've bought 2 lightning rods and both of them broke.  On the first one the cork split in the handle. I still use the rod, but I occasionally have to apply more super glue to the split to keep it together.  The second one broke about 5 inches from the tip just from putting it in the car.  I've never had any other rod break from doing this- it was my fault but I think it broke too easily.

As for the Cardinal, I have one of those as well and I LOVE it.  Great reel for the price.  Smooth and flawless.

As for the line- I don't use mono so maybe someone else can help you with that.  I use flourocarbon.

Hmmm, I have heard of the lightning rod snapping, but I've also heard that it has lasted for years without snapping. What other rod within that price range would you recommend?

With a spinning set up you will be doing light tackle, or finesse, fishing.

May I suggest going with mono for treble hook baits and flouro for all other baits?

Then, check out the DIAMETER SIZE of the line. The smaller the diameter the better for the test you are considering.

Since the 106 has a maximum line test of 12-pounds, go with a good name brand line between 8 to 12 pounds. Make sure the rod is also classified to handle 8 to 12 pound test line.

As an example, if Trileen has a .09 diameter for 10 pound test and P-Line has a .12 diameter for its 10-pound test, go with the .09 diameter.

I put 10-pound test on my spinning reels and so far, so good.

As for the rod, a 6'6" length is excellent for finesse fishing.

So rethink the 12-pound test and consider 10-pound with the smallest diameter you can find and go out and have some fun.  :)

Thanks Sam. Also, I'm not going to be using it just for finesse fishing, I'm going to be using it for everything. Is this possible? (obviously)

Not everything but a lot will work. First rethink the 12lb test. You will lose a lot of casting distance for lighter lures.Second you will not be able to fish heavy brush or weeds and slop very well.Carolina rigging would also be tough.

Please check the weight recomendations on the rod.Something too heavy such as a 3/4 oz may be too much and could snap it while casting.

A list of lures and or techniques this setup may work for could include:

Smaller topwaters

spinnerbaits up to 3/8 oz

worms and texas rigging up to around 1/4 oz

senkos,wacky rigs,fluke baits,trickworms

floating and suspending jerkbaits

rattle traps

smaller and shallower crankbaits up to say 6 ft divers

small jigs 1/4 oz

split shot rigging

shakey head rigs

drop shot

panfishing with bobbers and live bait or minnows

Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking too small, especially for Florida. I now have a Ugly Stik 8-20LB rod, but I don't know what the line is. Possibly 12LB. It seems like I should look into a rod and reel within that range. Any suggestions?