Sign in to follow this  
anglerEd

Light Jig Rod?

I am shoping for a light jig rod to handle 3/16 to 5/16 or maybe 3/8oz jigs. Primarily, I need good short range accuracy for dock fishing and better backbone than the rod I am useing. Temporarily, I have solved the accuracy issue with a castaway med action popping rod in 7'. It has a parabolic action that also serves well for cranking and gives me very good accuracy for sliding jigs under docks. However, its weakness is that if there is any distance between the fish and I or slightly deeper water, it lacks the backbone for desirable hook set. I need a happier medium for this style of jig fishing.

Look at loomis' spin jig line of spinning rods,got good backbone in the butt sections and softer tips to really throw jigs,minnow style hard baits and the like.i owned the sjr 721 and 722 each a light and medium action and would not look at any other rod for a spinner.

Thanks for the recomendations fellas but I should have been more specific. I am looking for a casting rig rather than spinning. As for the 6-8 st croix, that is a possibility. Sounds similar to my 6-9" loomis med x fast which I have tried for this application. I will be suprised if a particularly fast action is going to load up and be accurate with light baits the way I want. I think there is a 7 ft med power, medium to med-fast action blank out there somewhere. Under $150. If I need to spend $150, I will probably go custom.