Sign in to follow this  
islandbass

Bearing Removal for Cleaning

I would like to know how to safely and correctly remove the bearings from a Curado BSF/D reel.

First Bearing I noticed in the side plate of my D:

How do I remove the little wire thing-of-a-jig looks that like some kind of retaining clip that keeps the bearing in the sideplate in place in a way that would prevent or greatly reduce the potential for it flying off into the nether world? Tweezer's? Is it a Pain in the Phanny to put the clip back?

Also, I don't know where the other bearings are located. I think there is one in the hole opposite of the side plate and maybe somewhere in the spool, but that only accounts for 3 and there are supposed to be total five. I'm downloading the schematic later this evening to locate them. I am going to do this one step at a time.

I guess I reached the point of being sick and tired of being too chicken to do this myself. Sink or swim and if I sink, I'll drown in a blaze of glory.  ;D

-ib

I use a small flat head or forceps.  Be careful they will fly out and be lost for ever if your not paying attention.  It goes back in very easily too.  The bearing in the D is located under the cast control knob.  Unscrew it, take out the clip and the bearing should fall right out.  Those are the only bearings that I know of.