Sign in to follow this  
NOVA Angler

Do I really need a swimbait rod?

I plan to fish the finesse style swimbaits this coming season.  Mostly Money Minnows, Mighty Minnows, 5" Mission Fish,  Shadalicious, Mattlures Baby Bass & Bluegill (1.9 oz).  I'll probably also throw the SPRO BBZ, Sebile 125 and possibly a Baby Wake (the heaviest at 2.1 oz I think).  Before I invest money in these baits and a setup to throw them, I wanted to ask if a swimbait setup is really necessary for the baits I referenced.  I know these baits are on the smaller end of the swimbait spectrum.  Could I use one of my MBR844C's or possibly my Shimano Crucial 7'11" Flipping Stick to cover these baits?  I'm almost certain that I won't ever fish with swimbaits heavier than the Baby Wake.  The swimbait rods I'm considering are the G. Loomis SWBR904c and the Dobyns 795ML SB.  Let me know your thoughts.

904C no questions. I dont like the Baby wake on anything other than a light swimbait rod, but its doable. all the others will work fine on a heavy flippin/punchin rod

Get the Loomis 904. You be able to throw anything from a mission fish to a triple trout with no problem. I have the 955 and 957 models and have had no problems to date. Awesome rods.