Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat500

which Shimano Cardiff

well thanks all of you here Im deciding to pull the trigger on the Okuma Swimbait rod, I'm considering the Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'11" Med Hvy. Which Shimano Cardiff would you choose?

Im trying to complete my SB set-up on somwwhat of a buget.

Thanks,

How about this Cardiff?

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35281

J/J.   ;D  I'd narrow it down to the 300 or 400. Whichever will meet your line capacity needs and/or feels more comfortable in hand. I have a 301 and if I am not mistaken, it weighs 8.9oz. Pretty good for a round reel. The 400 is about 3 oz heavier. Another difference is that the 400 has a nondisengaging levelwind. I think this means that the levelewind will move back and forth during the cast. For a reel that big, this is probably a good thing to aid casting.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i remember you saying your throwing smaller baits (under 3.5oz).  If I were to only be throwing small baits, I would get the cardiff 300.  I see no need for the extra weight and line capacity when your only using 20# and under line.  If you might be throwing bigger baits, i'd go with the 400.

In my swimbait post I was hoping to throw smaller baits like Mattlures baby bass, but I dont think I have a rod that'll handle them so I considered an SB rod, I dont think I'll get to crazy on the big big stuf but I want to make sure I have enough power in rod & reel to handle what I do throw...Mattlures n TT's look like the way Im leaning.

Thanks Guys...Hey Burley.Scrooge, feel free to pic me up 1 of those Calcutta's, tis the season you know. ;)

since you're getting the medium-heavy okuma, sounds like you're throwing the smaller swimbaits. therefore, i'd suggest the cardiff 300A. if you're interested, i have a couple that i'm selling (one is brand new, the other has been used once but i can't which is which, both in boxes with papers) ($70 shipped, each).

Maybe even check out the Curado 300 if your into LP's

thnx Branuss04, I actually have 3 200's and really like them, I use to only throw Garcia rounds, and did hav 1 Lews. I liked the rounds alot but wanted to try something new so went w/ Curados.  It appears alot of guys run the rounds for swimbaits I wasny sure the LP Curados would be up to the task.

since you're getting the medium-heavy okuma, sounds like you're throwing the smaller swimbaits. therefore, i'd suggest the cardiff 300A. if you're interested, i have a couple that i'm selling (one is brand new, the other has been used once but i can't which is which, both in boxes with papers) ($70 shipped, each).

PM sent.

thnx Branuss04, I actually have 3 200's and really like them, I use to only throw Garcia rounds, and did hav 1 Lews. I liked the rounds alot but wanted to try something new so went w/ Curados. It appears alot of guys run the rounds for swimbaits I wasny sure the LP Curados would be up to the task.

I wouldn't expect the 200's and 100's to be up to the task, but I have no doubt in my mind that the curado 300 could throw those small to mid size baits with ease.  I've chatted with a shimano rep before and he informed me that these are made for those baits.  Give Bantam1 a message and see what he says about them.  I beleive the reason most guys use the Round reels is personal preference.  I've used a buddies 300D before for throwing hudds. and it just felt weird.  They handled them well though.

thnx Branuss04, I actually have 3 200's and really like them, I use to only throw Garcia rounds, and did hav 1 Lews. I liked the rounds alot but wanted to try something new so went w/ Curados. It appears alot of guys run the rounds for swimbaits I wasny sure the LP Curados would be up to the task.

I am sure the 300 curado will work for your application. In fact I would say it is better then the cardiff 301. It has more drag and HEG. I have a cardiff 301 and I think its nice too so it depends on your preference either LP or Round.

If you have the patients to shop around you should definantly look for a deal on the calcutta te 300 unless you need left hand like I do. The TE is a whole lot smoother then the cardiff and I'm sure will last longer then I will. Someone is selling a CTE 401 for $200 in another forum that i go to. PM me if you are interested and I will send you a link.  

Reds, thanx for the response, I'd love to jump on the CTE or the Curado 300, but Im tryn to stick to a buget, when I bought my Curados & G-Loomis's over the summer I sold off a ton RC equipment, bought my boat,motor,battery,seats and a ton of gear, I also did a little bartering with my LTS so I got lucky.  Swimbaits are a style I'd like to try yet not go broke doing so....thanks for the referals I wish I could spend alot more....but my 7yr old is waiting on Santa.

Im deciding to pull the trigger on the Okuma Swimbait rod, I'm considering the Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'11" Med Hvy. Which Shimano Cardiff would you choose?

The 300.

I have both, the 201 and 301.

well I just picked up 2 NIB Cardiff's for a great deal from a fellow member,  couldnt refuse, I really liked my round Garcias so I think I'll like these as well. After a couple craigs lists sales n a few more off ebay I'll be grabbing a new swim bait rod.  Thanks for the input here guys. ;)

Congrats! You will not be disappointed for certain. My first round was an Abu G which I love, but there will be a sense and feel of greater refinement with the Cardiff. What size did you settle on?

Congrats! You will not be disappointed for certain. My first round was an Abu G which I love, but there will be a sense and feel of greater refinement with the Cardiff. What size did you settle on?

Thanks islandbass, that just makes me want them even more now. I picked up two 300's. Im going to give this swimbait thing a go this year. Cant Wait!

Your pursuit of adding a swimbait setup is beginnin to rub off on me. Up until this point I have not any desire to fill this niche of my arsenal. Thanks! ;D

Well it's nice to know I can help ;). Originally I was looking for smaller swim baits to throw with my current set-ups, but after reading several posts, I found out a swim bait rod would'nt be all that bad. Im not going over the edge, rather trying to stick to a lighter buget. So Okuma's swimbait rod and the Cardiff fit the bill. Go for it islandbass, I did.

Well it's nice to know I can help ;). Originally I was looking for smaller swim baits to throw with my current set-ups, but after reading several posts, I found out a swim bait rod would'nt be all that bad. Im not going over the edge, rather trying to stick to a lighter buget. So Okuma's swimbait rod and the Cardiff fit the bill. Go for it islandbass, I did.

It seems like this is the starting point for most swimbaiters.  It was my first combo, then I upgraded to a Loomis + Calcutta ::) .  I know a few of my buddies started on this combo as well. You won't be dissapointed.

It's the beginning of the end for you my friend ;D .  

It seems like this is the starting point for most swimbaiters. It was my first combo, then I upgraded to a Loomis + Calcutta ::) . I know a few of my buddies started on this combo as well. You won't be dissapointed.

It's the beginning of the end for you my friend ;D .

Well great for those fine words and hammering the bait monkey into my head a little deeper, I just spent the last 30mins or so searching out Loomis Swim Bait rods. ;D