Sign in to follow this  
rippin_lips

Daiwa Sol

I am thinking about pairing a Daiwa Sol spinning reel with the St. Croix 7ft MF rod and spooling it with 15# braid.  Is the 2500 size the best option for this application.  Does anyone on here use a setup similar to that?  I fish with a lot of soft plastics, senkos, grubs, etc.  Thanks for any advise.

Welcome

Great Choice!!  I have a Daiwa Sol on a St Croix ES70MF and it's nice but my first choice is the Daiwa Sol on a St Croix ES68MXF.  It is just my personal preference.  I'm sure you will love the set-up.

CB

Fourbizz.

Why do you think the 2000 is a better choice?  Is the 2500 going to be too big for this rod, or do you just prefer the smaller reel?  Thanks.

If you are going to be doing a lot of casting, rather than vertical work, I'd go with the larger size.  You'll get increased distance and better line management.

i have the SOL 2500 and it is too much reel for a finesse rod imo. ESPECIALLY with light diameter braid. I use 10lb test Suffix  you dont need the spool capacity with it, and it casts for miles on a 2000 size reel. I have the tierra 2000 as well.

i have the SOL 2500 and it is too much reel for a finesse rod imo. ESPECIALLY with light diameter braid. I use 10lb test Suffix you dont need the spool capacity with it, and it casts for miles on a 2000 size reel. I have the tierra 2000 as well.

I agree but do you consider a St. Croix S70MF a finesse rod?  That's why I suggested the 2500, for long casts with senkos and other plastics.

i consider a m to be more finesse than power, certainly. Using light diameter braid, i doubt you will see any gain in casting distance that is worth adding another 1.1 ounces and the bulk of a 2500.

I have not noticed any casting diferences in my 2500 and 2000 size daiwas with 10lb sufix. If he was using 50lb i would probably agree.