Sign in to follow this  
fishin4abigone

Loomis mbr844 GLX or bcr854 GLX?

I am looking for a jig rod (1/2oz jigs mostly) to fish grass and deeper water over 12'.  These two rods seem close in action and need help deciding which one you guys prefer from experience.  I will be using the rod with a Revo stx-hs and 15# Fluoro.

Hmm...I have both rods (the MBR844 is my pitching rod and the BCR854 is my weighted plastic and jig rod). On both rods I have fished jigs and they both handled them quite nicely. I think the MBR844 is a little more versatile and since it doesn't have the Recoil guides, you can use braid on it without having that annoying sound when you cast. If you were only going to use if for jigs or weighted plastics with flouro or some other non-braided line, then I would suggest the BCR854, otherwise I would get the MBR844. That is just my opinion based off my experiences with both rods.

Both great rods. I have the mbr844 IMX (not GLX) and the bcr 854. To me the bcr feels a little more powerful and has a slightly faster action. I believe the consensus is that because of the faster actions the bcrs feel about a half power heavier than the mbrs.

And then there's the difference in guides. I only use flouro so the recoils don't bother me at all. If I had to choose one for jigs and plastics, I would probably go with the bcr. The mbr is a little more versatile. Hope that makes sense :-/