Sign in to follow this  
mozy

CBR845

I've fished all my life, but just started to take it more seriously. I've never used a baitcaster in my life, but over the winter picked up a 6'6" MHF Fenwick HMG for $70, and a CBR845 for $125. I figured they were both good enough deals that I should try them out...too hard to pass up, ya know?

Anyways, the CBR will be my CB rod for both bass and walleye, but I'm wondering how light of lures I can go? I like to throw Rapala's and smaller Salmo's for walleye and sometimes bass, but these are really lightweight cranks. Will this rod throw 1/4 oz baits?

I'm also wondering how this rod will work for other tactics: topwater, jerkbaits, etc.?

The CBR845 is in my opinion the best crankbait blank ever invented. Custom rod builders are fond of it as well...consider it the 'Seeker' of the graphite blanks. It can handle a very wide range of baits. It is capable of throwing 1/4oz BDS 1's, yet will also throw a DD22 (its limit). The Quantum Superlite medium/moderate is giving it a run for my all time favorite cranking blank believe it or not. Both are comparable in action and power. As far as jerkbaits; even though I am tall (6'3"); I prefer a 6'-6'6" rod for topwaters and jerkbaits. I just feel like I can give my baits more action...and it is easier to walk the dog with the shorter rod.

Other than the length issue, this rod should fish topwater fine? I'm not real familiar with any rod specifications for this technique.

The CBR845 is in my opinion the best crankbait blank ever invented.

Totally agree, my favorite Loomis rod that I own. I have used mine for fishing propbaits and it works great.