Sign in to follow this  
gabes

6.3 or 7.1 reels

Every one of my Zillion jig and worm rods will be getting a 7.3:1 this year.  Getting slack in quickly is crucial in hooksetting....especially when a fish picks up your jig and is running toward you.  Also...getting your bait back to the boat quickly to repitch can equate to a lot of extra pitches/casts in a fishing day.  This is especially critical in the early morning hours....say 7:30am to 9am.  You need to fish fast to take advantage of times when the bite is the strongest.  Missing a fish and getting your bait back out there quickly is another reason.  Basically...for jig and worm fishing....the faster the better.

Every one of my Zillion jig and worm rods will be getting a 7.3:1 this year. Getting slack in quickly is crucial in hooksetting....especially when a fish picks up your jig and is running toward you. Also...getting your bait back to the boat quickly to repitch can equate to a lot of extra pitches/casts in a fishing day. This is especially critical in the early morning hours....say 7:30am to 9am. You need to fish fast to take advantage of times when the bite is the strongest. Missing a fish and getting your bait back out there quickly is another reason. Basically...for jig and worm fishing....the faster the better.

X2

I have 6 high speed baitcasters, and 3 6.3:1 baitcasters. My crankbaits , spinnerbaits, and finesse baits that I rarely have any slack line in get the 6.3:1, and my jigs, soft plastics, and everything else under the sun gets a high speed reel.

For me, anything that gets moved by the rod I use a 7.1 and anything that is moved by the reel gets the 6.4.  I first started using 7.1's on my spinnerbaits and moving baits but found I was getting fewer bites because I was still reeling with the same cadence but was moving the bait a lot faster.  

Thought I'd add that any medium powered rod I use for plastics/jigs has a 5.8:1.  I like a reel with a few inches per turn less than the faster reels, for these rods.  If I'm fishing with a medium powered rod, it's generally a finesse presentation.  The slower reel helps me slow down, and not over-work my bait.