Sign in to follow this  
Smallie4130

Rod advice

I've been fishing for a long time and usually just buy something 7' thats MF or MLF. But after reading manufacturers websites it seems they recommend shorter rods or faster actions for the type of fishing I usually do. I fish alot of rivers and creeks for smallmouth, largemouth, bream, etc. and mostly use soft plastics. Flukes, senkos, crawdads, lizards. But I also use crank baits like rapalas and topwater lures like zara spooks and puppies, poppers alot. This last year I bought an MLF 7' St. Croix premier and it seems like when Im fishing soft plastics in the rivers, especially when the current is going good, that when I get a hit its hard setting the hook. Like maybe I dont have enough backbone in the rod? I feel like going back to a MF 7 footer might be the best but some people are telling me I should get an MHF and possibly a shorter rod. Any thoughts on what would suit the type of fishing Im doing best. Im usually in my kayak if that makes any difference.

If it were me, I would go Mh action and a fast tip.And I would go 7'. What kind of line are you fishing? :D

Are you fishing from shore?

If so I would go 6'6" max. 6' min

I used to fish on a river from a canoe for smallies. I used a 6'6 M spinning outfit and never had a problem setting the hook using zoom trick worms and small jigs.

If it were me, I would go Mh action and a fast tip.And I would go 7'. What kind of line are you fishing? :D

It depends, usually some 10lb test trilene. My only concern with the MH is casting those original floaters, crickhoppers, and other small baits I fish.

I used to fish on a river from a canoe for smallies. I used a 6'6 M spinning outfit and never had a problem setting the hook using zoom trick worms and small jigs.

Thats what I fished right before this. The MLF actually works great in lakes and during the summers when the water is really low, its just that right now the current is really strong and the MLF rod seems to bend a bit much and I dont feel like my hooksets are as strong.

May I suggest a 6'6" medium heavy rod with a fast action tip?

Any name brand you wish to purchase will do fine.

Just match the rod's specifications (line test and lure weights) with your reel's specifications for a good balance.

A 6'6" rod is an all-around rod and allows you fish it in many ways.

After you decide which technique or baits you like to throw the most, you can then add to your rod collection.

Remember, you NEVER have too many rods.  ;D   ;D   ;D

P.S.  We could discuss the pros and cons of graphite vs. glass rods but that is for another day.

Graphite has more feel to it, meaning it transmits better from the bait to your hands when fishing.

Have fun.  :D