Sign in to follow this  
ghost

2009 Quantum Energy PTi-B Spinning Reel Question

I need help deciding which of these 2 I need to get. I'll be mostly using it for bass fishing w/ 1 spool w/ either 6-8 lb mono & the other spool w/ 10(4lb) braid. This will be for multi-use, but the 2 I listed below have good & bad points. So I need your guys opinion, please.

Size 20 is 10.7 oz, 5.2:1 gear ratio, 24" IPT, 6/140 yds & 8/100 yds

Size 30 is 11.1 oz, 5.2:1 gear ratio, 27" IPT, 6/250 yds & 8/160 yds

I like the IPT on the 30 & like the size on the 20, but don't like the slower 24" IPT on the 20. Does it make that much of a difference of 3" IPT from the 20 to the 30? Also the 20 is slightly lighter in weight. I guess I'm used to the faster gear ratio & higher IPT on Shimano spinning reels in the 2500 & 3000 sizes. I wouldn't mind the 30 but it just takes too much line & I know I won't be filling it full w/ the main line. The 20 seems to be the one I want but it just seems slow at 24" IPT. I gotta say that these reels are super sweet & smooth, Quantum did a very good job on this years model & dropping the weight just a bit. I'll admit I had last years 20 size & it felt like a dog...slow feeling while reeling. I don't know if the 2009 20 model is the same way.

Opinions???

Bass-Brat, which spinning reel(s) would you recommend?

I have a bunch of the 20's that I use for everything, I also have a 30 and a 40 that I use for salmon and trout casting.  I promise you, you will not notice the 3" difference.  The 30 is just to big of a reel, at least for me, to use all the time for bass fishing.  A person does not need 160-250 yards of line on a bass spinning reel. I have found that the 20's are perfect for almost every spinning application. I have 2 10's that I once used for really light line spinning and liked them, but now I use them for ice fishing, they are a little too small for bass (unless you like to use really light line).  Anyway, I would say the 20 will work for almost any fishing you do (minus real long running fish) you wont even notice the 3" slower retrieve.

Thanks for your input!  I'm heading to Cabela's spring sale at the end of the week, I'll stop at BPS & exchange the PTi-B 30 I bought last night & get the 20.  As I said, I'm used to the IPT on Shimano spinning reels.