Sign in to follow this  
PlasticsJunkie

Best Baitcastin Rod/Reel Combo for the $

I'm wanting to get a new baitcasting combo before spring fishing gets going.  My price range is anything around $150 give or take $20 or so.  I want one thats fairly versatile that I can use for just about anything from working plastics to throwing cranks.  

What do you guys reccomend?  Also what length and action for the rod, and gear ratio for the reel.

Thanks guys.

Hey, what kind of baits do you like to throw? Cranks, worms, jigs, spiners, etc.? May help narrow down the choices when talking about actions and reel speeds.

Also, FWIW, I think the BPS combos from what I have seen are hard to beat. A 6'6" Med power fast tip with a 6x:1 reel is a good all around setup for tight line single hook applications - spinners, jigs, worms, etc.

Eddie

Daiwa exceler-about 75 bucks

KVD signature series 7' medium heavy power rod-59 bucks at BPS right now.

I promise, you will like it, especially if you're new to the baitcaster world

E21 original Carrot stix.....Pick up a baitcasting reel from BPS when on Sale.

Or Mojo St Croix rod, with BPS Extreme reel currently on sale for $49.

Not a thing wrong with that reel. I recently picked up an extreme. Put a power handle on it and mounted that on my J/M Elite......$200 rod (that compares to rods costing $300 or more) with a reel that cost me $50 :D

I throw alot of plastics, like weightless senkos and texas rigged lizzards and brush hogs. Also, crankbaits and some spinner baits also.

For the plastics, single hook and sensitive applications, you want med-hvy to hvy (depending upon the line wt) with a fast tip.  This will also work pretty good for the spinner (faster the better for spinners).

This power/action will not be optimal for cranks.  Want something a little slower for cranks.  Doesn't mean you can't use the same rod for single hook vs. treble, just have to work at it a little more with delaying the hookset and maintaining the right amount of tension during the fight.

As previously stated, think the BPS combos are pretty hard to beat for the $$$.   :D

It's about $20 beyond your limit, but I think it's well worth the extra $$.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102398_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1

As far as rod length/power/action, that depends on your lake conditions as much as type of lure.

I find 6'6" - 7' M/F or M/XF just fine for soft plastics as long as you're in open water with minimal cover, and a 6'6" - 7' M/F would also be decent for cranks as well.

Stasher has got it right.  I have owned that Pro Qualifier rod and its light, tough and really sensitive.

I have heard great things about the new Pro Qualifier reels too.