Sign in to follow this  
Fish Fast

PT tour edition (burner) or Revo STX(7:1)

For those of you that have had experience with both reels, which one of the above reels would you choose for cranking (kistler 7 foot composite cranking stick) and which would you use for all-purpose (kister Mg 6-9" all purpose)? Or doesn't it really matter.

Next year I will prob. buy a lower gear ratio reel for cranking but in the meantime, one of these will have to do.

Revo Winch.  I have 3 STX-HS-L, a STX-L 6.4, and a Winch, Best CB reel I have ever owned.

I use a 7:1 reel on my jerkbait/spinnerbait rod. It does extra duty as a crankbait rod on occasion. I have no problem with a high speed reel and crankbaits.

I think the idea that you absolutely have to have a slow reel for cranks is a very successful marketing ploy. It has increased sales of reels. Everybody seems to have bought into the idea. Hats off to the marketing folks. You did a good job on that snow job.

Personally, when I get to the point where I can't retrieve a crank without a slow speed reel, I'll look for a less strenuous sport; like needlepoint, or knitting.

edit, I forgot, during my rant, to answer your question. I have both reels, and either one will do just fine. It it were me, I'd use the Revo for cranking. In my experience, the Revo performs much better with lighter line, which suits the crankbait application.