Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Football Jig Rod Kistler Magnesium

Im thinking about getting a rod pretty much just for football jigs and maybe carolina rigging. Kilstler has the Magnesium in a 7'3 MH would this rod be heavy enough for throwing football jigs. Also was looking at Carrot stick in a 7'3. Wanting something that has plenty of backbone for deep fishing. Here where i live we fish football jigs up to 25 foot deep. My other question is how sinsitive is the kistler magnesium?

My question is how heavy of a football jig are you going to throw?  I throw "small" football jigs (3/8 - 1/2 oz) just fine on my LTX MH Kister.

If you are going to be consitantly throwing bigger football jigs in water deeper than 15' I would recommend that you opt for a heavy action rod.

Depending on price/size/quality this is what I would recommend..

MgADFPSH78T  - Telescopic 7'8" Rod that is also good for C-Riggin

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-mt-worm-fishing-jig-rods/MgADFPSH78T.html

or

He76HC  -  One piece 7'6" LTA that would be perfect for draggin big jigs

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-h1-worm-fishing-jig-rods/He76HC.html

Good Fishing,

TW

magnesium is a good rod but i reccomend the 7'3 carrot stik.. very light and very sensitive! i would reccomend a heavy action if your fishing deeper with the heavier jigs like thomas said

I just picked up a 7'6" heavy Carrot Stix for the same purpose. It is so light! Have not had a chance to test it yet. When I do ill write more.

I use my 7'3 MH Carrot for Football jigs and it works fine. I usually use 7/16th Jewels and dont fish them deeper than 15' though so you might want the 7'6" H. That extra 3" and less give an be crucial in setting hooks in the deeper water. The 7'3" MH has more than enough backbone for them though.IMO a Carrot and Kistler are very close in sensitivity but I know the Carrots are a bit lighter (Burley weighed them all in comparison last winter). Flip a coin or get the cheaper one...

I know it says Alton Jones used it to win the Classic but he was fishing deeper than 30 feet but I really doubt he was using a 6'10" rod.

Just dug through my dads Bassmaster magazine collection and he was using a 7' MEDIUM action Kistler Magnesium... :-?