Sign in to follow this  
logantor21

Abu Garcia Black Max

It is an excellent choice for the $ IMO. I have one on an Abu rod and i use it as a universal/beater combo. I really like the reel to be honest. It is smooth, strong and will cast a mile if set up right.

Just picked one up on ebay for $32 new. Goin to throw it into my tournament arsenal as a backup/all around reel so we'll see how it works out. Cant beat the price and cant go wrong with abus.

I have the sliver max which is a step up, but extremely similar, and i absolutely love it. IMO you can not get a better reel for that amount of money. Abu Garcia makes quality reels so i'm sure you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

I've never tried the newer ones so I cant comment on them but I still have a couple Black Max, Silver Max and Pro Max reels from way back, the older ones, and they perform flawlessly.

It is an excellent choice for the $ IMO. I have one on an Abu rod and i use it as a universal/beater combo. I really like the reel to be honest. It is smooth, strong and will cast a mile if set up right.

x2 It probably won't last as long as the more expensive ones but it is definately worth 50 dollars. Great real for the price and when you have it set right it can cast very nicely you just have to play with it a little.

Got mine as a $50 combo from Academy.  6'6" mh.  Great buy for the money.  Not the smoothest or longest casting but I got it to learn on and I love it.  A year and a half of 3-4 times a week and no issues to report thus far.  Just be sure to clean and oil it every few months as it is a cheap setup.  

If you have a local dick's sporting goods near by they have the new berkley lightening rod for 70 dollars with which is the combo with a silver max and then a 20 dollar mail in rebate. Great deal I think.