Sign in to follow this  
JayB

Stren Sonic Braid

Just curious what your thoughts are son Stren Sonic Braid.

I know there were a few people here using it, just curious what your thoughts are now that you have had a little time with it.

Jay

The more I use it the more I am liking it. At first I must admit I was not to sure on the stuff, I loved Stren Super Braid and had used that for years before Stren discontinued it.

Sonic braid is super limp braid, cast great and has good knot strength. However being that its so limp and soft on the spool, I have been a little worried about strength, just in my mind, not in actual fishing so far, so far it's holding up strong. I do wish they would have kept the darker green color of Super Braid, but no biggy really. I have been using the 40lb for jigs and worms, the 50lb for buzz frogs and the 65lb for floating frogs with no issues so far. But I will not be totally convinced until a 4 or 5 pounder wraps me around some timber. Super Braid kicked butt in those situations, so if Sonic can handle it I will be a happy camper.

Side note: All's I ever used before was 40lb Super Braid for all my braid needs and it never, not once, let me down. I bought the 50 and 65lb Sonic because I was nervous on Sonics strength, limp and strength have never really gone together before, but the more I use it them more I am thinking I panicked for nothing for the 40lb Sonic is holding up great so far. Like I said though, the real test will be when the fish puts it to the test in the heavy timber.

I don't like it. It is too much like Power Pro and Suffix, I much preferred Stren Super Braid as it has a smoother finish. I'm glad I purchased several hundred yards of the Super Braid before it was all sold out. I'll wait for a Stren brand to have an equivelent to Daiwa Samurai or a less stiff Fireline Braid before I make any more superline purchases.

I don't like it. It is too much like Power Pro and Suffix, I much preferred Stren Super Braid as it has a smoother finish. I'm glad I purchased several hundred yards of the Super Braid before it was all sold out. I'll wait for a Stren brand to have an equivelent to Daiwa Samurai or a less stiff Fireline Braid before I make any more superline purchases.

I have never tried Suffix, but I have to disagree with it being like PP. PP is like fishing with wire IMO, sonic braid is way more limp and easier to manage. I do agree though, nothing is better then what Super Braid was. Stren should be taken out back and beaten for discontinuing Super Braid.