Sign in to follow this  
Goggle Eyes

Any tips on C-Rigs at Lake of the Ozarks?

Planning a trip to LOZ next weekend and I'm told that C-Rig centipedes and big worms have worked real well.

Any suggestion for colors on 10" worms, I have used motor oil with success.

What about centipedes, any favorite brands?

For C-Rigs, I have used toothpicks, are split shots perhaps better?

Thanks for any input...

I don't think I'd be using 10" worms.  From the reports I've read, the fish are now in the spawning mode.  The usual C-rig pattern down there is some sort of soft plastic, brush hog, space monkey, french fry, creature bait, fished on the small points at the mouths of the housekeeping spawning pockets.  The points will usually have pea gravel on them.

Do not toss up into shallower water unless you want to catch a bunch of buck males, the larger females normally hold out in slightly deeper water, 6-10feet.  Also, hold the boat further out from those pockets and toss right up into the gut of the pocket and drag out.  

I used to fish LOZ b/f I moved to CA. I would suggest C-rigging Brush Hogs on area that transition from chunk rock to pea gravel. The 10" worm bite usually picks up during the summer months especially at night.

First thing in the morning toss topwater such a big Zara spook.

I disagree with the back of coves comment above. I know last year we could only locate some of the bigger fish in 1-3" in the very back of coves using a green pumpkin jig. A lot of times the bite will be very light and sometimes they will tear the trailer without fully committing. I know of one tourney that was won this way. Last year the water was really muddy and I have no idea what conditions are like this year.