Sign in to follow this  
Branuss04

Carbontex Drags

Just curious about these drags.  I just bought a Calcutta 400B that has these installed.  I've never used any reels with them installed, nor have I ever researched them until now.  It seems as though they deliver more #'s of drag.   :-/

For those of you that have used them, Pro's?  Con's?  Thanks   :D

They will deliver a pound or two extra of drag force, they also prevent the drag from stuttering when under load if lubricated properly. I have used Cal's drag grease in the past but I am trying Shimano drag grease this year. Both seem pretty consistent so I would say it really doesn't matter which one of those you use. A light coating on the Carbontex and drag washers is all you need.

You can use the Carbontex without lubrication, they will deliver more drag force that way but are prone to the stutter under heavy pulls. The start up drag is not as consistent without the grease either. Carbontex will put a mark on your drag washers over a period of time. This is not nearly as significant if you use the drag grease, more of swirl marks than the grooves you get without the grease.

I have them in every reel I own except for the spinning reels.

I'm also a fan of the carbontex drag washers.  I've found substantially improved performance in my Daiwa reels and my Shimano reels that don't have the Dartanium drag from the factory.  I've put the Dartanium drag to the test and it has performed very well for me.