Sign in to follow this  
cyph3r

skipping rod

hello all, i recently purchased a compre 6'6", med, fast action rod for skipping and basically throwing weightless or near weightless plastics. would you say for skipping in particular an extra fast action might be more beneficial or would a fast action rod help load up better for skipping? thank you guys

I use a spinning rod and reel. I like a medium-heavy to medium-light xfast rod, what I call 70/30 ,70 percent backbone and 30 percent tip , to get the right kind of skip. It has to give a little. The stiffer the rod, the harder it is to skip with because you've got to use more arm motion

or Do it Bill Dance style with the ZEBCO 202. Hold the button down bend the rod back and ping shoot it right under the dock. Honestly I have never done it but it was cracking me up watching him do it on TV. Only Big Bill could get away with that one

Lure weight is what will load the rod regardless of action.

I know guys that skip with fast and some use XF. Depends on technique.

lets say with the exact same lure would an extra fast tip be more beneficial than a fast tip with more give?

for skipping i dont see it being that much of a difference from xfast-fast,besides every rod companies action varies.it all depends on your arm/wrist actions to me the heavier/slower action the more you have to work and snap your arm/wrist,and opposite the lighter/faster action.what you got will do just fine,now good luck on mastering the art of dock skipping!!! ;)

i mean ive skipped docks, i guess i just wanted a more theoretical basis on which action tip was the best. regardless ill just test it out once i get it and see how it goes:) thanks for the info guys