Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Need some help

So I was at my local Cabela's today looking at some rods and I came across a Loomis spinning rod that felt amazing and balanced perfectly with my saros 2500. Only thing is, I don't recall seeing a series name on it, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. It was a brown colored 6'10" spinning rod mag. med. power with an extra-fast action. The lure weight was 1/8-5/16 and there was a picture of a weightless worm on it just next to the rod ratings. Price was $240. Anyone know what rod it was?

Loomis Shakyhead Spinning 6'10" Mag-Med/EF

Loomis Drop Shot Spinning 822S 6'10" Med/EF

Unfortunately all of these are brown, but bold one meets the specs.

http://www.***.com/catpage-RDSGLOOMIS.html

Thanks for the help. It was definitely the shakyhead. Anyone with experience care to comment on this rods performance? I would use this rod for weighted and unweighted soft plastics and small jigs, how would this rod handle these baits?

It will handle them all extremely well.  Do you fish a lot of smallies?

Nope, mostly LM. Can you comment on how this rod compares to the mossyback jig & worm? They appear similar and are at a similar price point.

Never tested the mossy back myself, never even held one yet to be honest.  From the specs though it looks like the 6'8MH would do you a bit better if your fishing rougher cover, skipping jigs between logs etc, and would be better suited for a higher # braided line.  I don't use many spincast set ups.  The resident expert on Loomis rods is Road Warrior.  May want to give him a shout, he'd be able to tell you better how they fish and what to expect, the extent of my knowledge with them is borrowing a friends set ups, and in store feels.  From what your describing though I would think that the Mossy back 6'8" MH/EF would suit you very well.

My thoughts exactly about the mossyback. Thanks for your help King, it is greatly appreciated. Hopefully some others with experience with these rods will offer some more insight.

I have owned a Mossy Back jig/worm in H action and i didn't like it that much. It was a great rod but i found it a little heavy and not enough power to move a big fish IMO. It was a casting model BTW.