Sign in to follow this  
RedhookRR

abu garcia question

trying to understand difference in a couple baitcasters by garcia.  I found a 1003lp for 50 has 3 bearings and everything else same as black max.  I know the difference is amount of bearings so that is out.  but other than that the only thing that I can find different is that the 1003 has 5 magnets compared to 3 on the black/silver max.  does anyone know of any other affecting differences that the black or silvermax may have.  Can you add more magnets to the reel to effect control.

The 1003LP was one of the last of Garcia's old style LP line of reels before the Revo's came out. Fairly decent reel. Graphite frame vs the Black or Silver max which are some sort of polycarbonite.

I have used both the 1003 and a Silver max. As far as casting ease, the silver max wins hands down. The max series of reels are incredible casters and are very light. They have the feel of the Revo line of reels as they sit on the rod.

Unfortunately, during a day of casting I found that the reels would make occasional grinding noises on retrieve, as though the gears didn't mesh up properly when re-engaging after a cast. While not a big deal, I'd worry about the long term durability of the reel.

The 1003 had no such issues. It was a solid, albeit larger and heavier reel. For the money, the 1003 will probably outlast the Silver or Black max reels. If you're looking at keeping the reel for a while that's something to think about. If the reel is only to tide you over till finances allow you to move up to more expensive gear then try out a max series reel.

Thank you Cart7t.  That helps still can"t decide think I will endup with the silver max just cause its got a left handed retrieve.