Sign in to follow this  
EKYbasser

Which Loomis Spinning Rod?

I'm in the market for a new Loomis spinning rod. I currrently own a 782 IMX that I use for 3 and 4" grubs, small cranks, in-line spinners, etc. I've got it teamed up with a Stradic 2500. I'm very pleased with this set-up. What I'm looking for is a spinning rod to fish Eakin's jigs, texas rigged plastics like Paca Craws, tubes, 5" grubs, etc. I'm considering the BSR 803 GLX, BSR852 GLX, and the SJR843 GLX. I'd like a 7' rod but that's not mandatory. I'm going to team this rod with either a new 2500 or 3000 Sradic or Symetre. I'm looking for suggestions and others experiences with these rods. Thanks!

I have the SJR843 IMX and love it, but unless I am mistaken, I do not believe Loomis offers the SJR843 in GLX. Although I have never used one, I would have to say that the BSR803 GLX would be great for those applications (I want one bad but cannot afford to drop nearly $400 on a rod at this time). Also, the SJR843 IMX will perform quite nicely as well and it is a 7' rod and will save you about $100 over the others in GLX.

I would go with the BSR 803 GLX - it has enough power for a solid hookset with those kinds of baits, is very light, and incredibly sensitive. I also really love the 852 GLX as a 1/4oz jig rod and smaller tubes, but a t-rigged paca craw and a 5" grub are somewhat bulky baits and I'd lean toward the 3 power rod for those. Since you already have the 782, it will cover your smaller stuff.  Craiger12 is right, they don't offer the SJR 843S in a GLX...

Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't realize that about the 843 being IMX only. Maybe I was thinking about the 783. Anyone else have any experience or suggestions?