Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Reel settings for skipping?

Just seeing how you guys like to setup your baitcasters when skipping, as far as how loose or tight you set it and how many breaks? I can do it really well with my old DHSV Curado but I'm having a hard time with the newer model Curados.

I normally don't use baitcasters for skipping, but if I got to use a baitcaster I will tighten the brakes and the cast control all the way.

When I do skip with a baitcaster I don't really monkey with the settings that much I just sling it real hard and apply alot of pressure to the spool as it skips.

I prefer to use a spinning reel too but in my clear waters I like to use heavy jigs at times and spinning gear won't cut it.

Its all in the thumb, I keep the settings the same. I usually only skip spro frogs with my casting gear and just throw it as hard as you can close your eyes and hope for the best

Loosen your mechanical brake (just to where you get a quick drop like for pitching) but turn your magnets (or pins) to a high setting.   You don't have to throw hard.  Pratice skipping with a practice plug on a concrete driveway under a car (not yours).   An internally weighted tube or senko is a good skipping lure.

I keep mine the same as for casting and tighten the nagnetics down. I thumb it immediately after initial contact with the water! The rest should handle itself really.