Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Loomis casting rods

I know that both rods are rated as 3 power rods, but how does the power of the MBR 783/843 compare to the BCR 803. I know the MBR has a higher lure weight rating, but I have heard that the BCR has surprising power.

I dont have the bcr 803 bcr but I have the imx 783 and 843.

The 843 seems it handles heavier lures better then the 783. seems to me that it is stiffer as well and more backbone when setting the hook on a fish. Maybe it could be just me  ;)

I have the SJR 843 IMX spinning rod and I really like the positive hooksets. But I fish from the bank so I was thinking that I would go with the MBR 783 to make casting a bit easier. However, I have not decided yet.

I got a chance to check out the BCR803 GLX and MBR783 IMX at my local Cabelas today (they did not have the MBR843 in stock). Both rods felt similar, and both felt less powerful than I would have thought. Actually, to me the BCR803 felt a bit more powerful than the MBR783 although it is rated for lighter baits, but this may have just been due to the faster tip. Also, I have not had the pleasure of fishing either rod so I can't really determine this. Does the MBR843 feel more powerful than the 783 to anyone else as Redsyn stated earlier?

I have an MBR843C IMX and a CBR 843. The MBR843C is significantly stiffer than the CBR843, and I use it for large cranks like a 900 series hellbender or a Rapala DT16, and big swimbaits. The CBR843 I use with smaller cranks like a Rapala DT10, Killer B1s and smaller, but even a Series 5 Strike King Sexy Shad is pushing it. The CBR843 simply cannot handle the back pressure of say a Rapala DT 16 or a DT 20. You will absolutely love the CBR843 for throwing smaller cranks, and while it may seem whimpy at the onset, it has great backbone and is very forgiving. The MBR843C is quite a bit stiffer and you may have to give it a bit more self imposed give at the strike. I love both rods and they both cast exceptionally well when matched with the right lure, etc. They are not inter-changeable, however. They are different rods. It all depends on what you are doing. I purchased the MBR843 first and was very pleased with it, but realized I needed something else to throw smaller baits. Great rods.