Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat500

swimbait rod & reel will it work?

I have a 6ft graphite rod I had built many years ago as a boat rod for stripers and blues.  I've thrown 2 to 2 1/2 oz plugs all day with no issues. Currently an Abu Garcia 5500C sits on it but wondering if my new Revo STX will be up to the task of throwing and handleing such heavy baits.  Your thoughts Please.  I just dont want to go back out and buy another rod n reel.

TY

Your 5500C will do fine.As for the rod,the only thing I see is that it's a little short.Other than that i see no reason to get another combo

im sure it'll be just fine,

you should see what i throw my swimbaits on!!!

.......most would just laugh at the sight, but it works great.

Please dont say a ultra light spinning outfit.

Youre killing me mrlitetackle, you catch some awesome fish on the most delicate gear.  My hats off to you, youre a true angler.

It would be way too short for my liking but to each their own.  I am guessing that your 5500 is not the latest version and if that is the case I would upgrade the drag disks on that to carbon fiber.  They don't cost much at all and will make a huge difference on that reel.  

I had a SB rod but decided against it, to much gear and not enough time. I have permisson to fish a private lake and want to throw big baits.  I know the rods a little on the short side, but what I cant understand is, I use to haul 15 and 20lb stripers, and bull bluefish out of the bay without breaking a sweat. What could be so different then winching a 6,7 or maybe (with some luck) an 8lb LMB out 12ft of clear water?

Thanks Guys, Thanks for the help.

Way too short IMO. If the water is clear than you will want to make long casts. Such a short rod and heavy bait will hinder casting distance significantly. Just my thoughts.

hopefully casting distance wont be an issue, if I remember correctly I got decent distance with 2oz plugs before, if not not theres always that rod you have for sale Dink...l have been eyeballing it, just not sure she'll handle 25lb CXX and 2 1/2oz baits.